October 1, 2013
On October 29-30th, RICON West will take over the St. Regis in San Francisco. RICON is Basho’s distributed systems conference that brings together engineers, developers, scientists, and architects. You can purchase tickets for this almost sold-out event here: ricon-west-2013.eventbrite.com/
This year’s keynote speaker is Jeff Dean, Google Fellow at Google Inc. His talk entitled, “The Tail at Scale: Achieving Rapid Response Times in Large Online Services,” will describe a collection of techniques and practices that lower response times in large distributed systems whose components run on shared clusters of machines, where pieces of these systems are subject to interference by other tasks, and where unpredictable latency hiccups are the norm, not the exception. He will also share examples of how these techniques are used in various pieces of Google’s systems infrastructure and in various higher-level online services.
RICON West also features speakers from academia and industry, including: Peter Bailis (UC Berkeley), Justin Sheehy (Basho), Pat Helland (Salesforce.com), Jeff Hodges (Twitter), Diego Ongaro (Stanford University), Susan Potter (Finsignia), Ryland Degnan and Jason Brown (Netflix), Miles O’Connell (StackMob), Derek Murray (Microsoft), Raja Selvaraj and Arvinda Gillella (The Weather Company), and many others.
If you’ll be in San Francisco on Oct. 28th, we will also be hosting a full-day Riak training. This training will teach you everything you need to know to start building highly available, scalable systems on Riak. Tickets to both the training and RICON are still available.
Be sure to grab tickets to RICON West before they sell out and see you in San Francisco!
August 8, 2013
RICON West, Basho’s distributed systems conference, will take place in San Francisco from October 29-30th. We’ve already started rolling out the speaker list, with 15 of the 23 speakers announced. Here are some of the highlights:
- Peter Bailis (UC Berkeley) – Bad As I Wanna Be: Coordination and Consistency in Distributed Databases
- Jeff Hodges (Twitter) – Practicalities of Productionizing Distributed Systems
- Ryland Degnan (Netflix) – Yuki: Functional Data Structures for Riak
- Lindsey Kuper (Indiana University) – LVars: Lattice-based Data Structures for Deterministic Parallelism
- Sam Elliott (Basho Technologies) – CRDTs: An Update (or maybe just a PUT)
- Miles O’Connell (StackMob) – More Than Just Data: Using Riak Core to Manage Distributed Services
- Michael Bernstein (Paperless Post) – Distributed Systems Archeology
- Charlie Voiselle and Justin Shoffstall (Basho Technologies) – The Seven-Layer Burrito; Troubleshooting a Distributed Database in Production
Be on the lookout next week when we announce the remaining speakers and the keynote. Until then, be sure and grab a ticket before they sell out – the early bird tickets are only available through August 29th – and make yourself known on the RICON West Lanyrd directory.
We look forward to seeing you in October.