Riak Enterprise 2.0 integrates Solr search and adds major enhancements to security and configuration management to address critical unstructured data needs for enterprises worldwide
HERNDON, Va. – September 16, 2014 – Basho, the creator and developer of Riak, the industry leading distributed NoSQL database, today introduced Riak Enterprise 2.0. This new version significantly improves performance with a complete redesign of Riak Search, integrated with Apache Solr. The release also includes support for new distributed data types, enhanced configuration management and user security to enable faster development and simplified configuration. This new NoSQL database functionality provides enterprise application developers enhanced usability and scalability for faster development of highly available, globally scalable applications.
“NoSQL databases have become a popular option for organizations dealing with unstructured data but can be difficult to adopt for traditional database programmers,” said Matt Aslett, research director, data platforms and analytics, 451 Research. “Developers are looking for easier ways to build applications that unlock the value of unstructured data and Basho’s Riak Enterprise 2.0 is well-positioned to help them with the addition of search and new data types to provide consistency, where required.”
Significant updates in Riak make it a robust NoSQL database for enterprise deployments
New features of Riak Enterprise 2.0 include:
- Additional data types: Riak now includes sets, registers, flags and maps as new distributed data types to simplify application development, while providing high availability and supporting Riak’s partition tolerance characteristics.
- Updated search: The completely redesigned Riak Search leverages Apache’s Solr engine, enabling integration with a wider variety of existing software and commercial solutions through client query APIs.
- Security: Riak now enables authorization and authentication to manage users and groups. Security measures can now be applied within Riak itself, including data access and functional permissions.
- Simplified configuration management: Riak’s operational simplicity continues to improve by consolidating configuration information and storing it in an easy-to-parse, transparent format.
- Efficient bucket management: With bucket types, users can now create and administer bucket properties and apply them to a collection of buckets, improving overall efficiency.
- Tiered storage: Riak also allows LevelDB users to split data files across two mount points based on access patterns to optimize for low latency of the most frequently accessed data.
“As an app-tech company, Tapjoy is always tasked with solving very complex engineering problems that need to handle massive growth,” said Weston Jossey, head of operations at Tapjoy. “The new advanced data types in Riak 2.0 are a game changer for us because it makes it simple for us to manage our data model at a scale that supports over a billion devices all around the world.”
“Our goal is to provide the most advanced NoSQL database system available that is innovative and constantly evolving,” said Dave McCrory, CTO of Basho. “Riak is the only data platform supporting key value store, object storage and search. Riak 2.0 solves the usability issues that have slowed NoSQL developers for years. We have tightly integrated Solr, the popular high performance full text search platform and developed new data types that automatically address conflicts.”
Riak 2.0 and Riak Enterprise 2.0 are available now. To view the latest technical documentation visit http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/.
Basho delivers customized packages for its commercial software, Riak Enterprise and Riak Enterprise Plus, with health checks, as well as options for project-based Professional Services engagements. Full pricing details of Basho commercial software are at http://basho.com/pricing/. To request a trial license of Riak Enterprise 2.0, prospective inquiries can request a Riak Tech Talk at http://info.basho.com/SignUpRiakTechTalk.html.
- Basho Website (basho.com)
- Basho Blog (basho.com/blog/)
- Riak (basho.com/riak/)
- Riak doc (docs.basho.com/riak/latest/)
- Data sheet (http://basho.com/assets/Basho_Datasheet-RiakEnterprise.pdf)
- Additional Resources (basho.com/resources/)
- Twitter: @Basho (twitter.com/basho)
- LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com/company/basho-technologies-inc)
About Basho Technologies
Basho is a distributed systems company dedicated to making software that is highly available, fault-tolerant and easy-to-operate at scale. Basho’s distributed database, Riak, the industry leading distributed NoSQL database, and Basho’s cloud storage software, Riak CS, are used by fast growing Web businesses and by one third of the Fortune 50 to power their critical Web, mobile and social applications, and their public and private cloud platforms.
Riak and Riak CS are available open source. Riak Enterprise and Riak CS Enterprise offer enhanced multi-datacenter replication and 24×7 Basho support. For more information, visit basho.com.