Effective as of September 16, 2011
About the Service
The Service allows Users to download open source versions of the Software to build applications and offers training, support, and other services to help Users install, configure, optimize, tune, and run the Software. The Service also provides Users access to whitepapers, videos, and other materials and allows Users to register for webinars and participate in Basho’s interactive programs.
Registration; Rules for User Conduct and Use of the Service
You need to be at least 18 years old to register for and use the Service. By registering, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older.
You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password and/or account. Basho will not be responsible for any liabilities, losses, or damages arising out of the unauthorized use of your member name, password, and/or account.
When you create your own personalized account, you will be able to submit and answer questions and to make comments on the Site (“User Content”). You are solely responsible for the User Content that you post, upload, link to, and/or otherwise make available via the Service. You agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your User Content.
If you elect to purchase a Service for which we charge a fee, you agree to pay the amount specified for the Service. Fees are non-refundable once paid. You also represent and warrant that:
- You are authorized to use and have fees charged to the PayPal account, credit card, or debit card number you provide to Basho for any payments due;
- All of your registration and account information is true, accurate, and complete;
- You will maintain the security of your password; and
- You accept all responsibility for all activity that occurs under your user name.
Any breach or suspected breach of any of the above representations or warranties may result in immediate termination of your account or suspension of your account without, if applicable, any refund.
Your permission to use the Site is conditioned upon the following Use Restrictions: You agree that you will not under any circumstances:
- post any information that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory, libelous, or racially, sexually, religiously, or otherwise objectionable and offensive;
- use the Service for any unlawful purpose or for the promotion of illegal activities;
- attempt to, or harass, abuse, or harm another person or group;
- use another User’s account without permission;
- provide false or inaccurate information when registering an account;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of the Service;
- make any automated use of the Service or the Site, or take any action that we deem to impose or to potentially impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our servers or network infrastructure;
- bypass any robot exclusion headers or other measures we take to restrict access to the Service or use any software, technology, or device to scrape, spider, or crawl the Service or harvest or manipulate data; or
- publish or link to malicious content intended to damage or disrupt another User’s browser or computer.
The following rules pertain to User Content. By transmitting and submitting any User Content while using the Service, you agree as follows:
- You are solely responsible for your account and the activity that occurs while signed in to or while using your account;
- You will not post information that is malicious, false, or inaccurate;
- You will not submit content that is copyrighted or subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy, publicity, trade secret, etc., unless you are the owner of such rights or have the appropriate permission from their rightful owner to specifically submit such content; and
You understand and agree that any liability, loss or damage that occurs as a result of the use of any User Content that you make available or access through your use of the Service is solely your responsibility. Basho is not responsible for any public display or misuse of your User Content. Basho does not, and cannot, pre-screen or monitor all User Content. However, at our discretion, we, or a technology we employ, may monitor and/or record your interactions with the Service.
Online Content Disclaimer
Opinions, advice, statements, offers, or other information and/or content made available through the Site or the Service, but not directly by Basho, are those of their respective authors and should not necessarily be relied upon. Such authors are solely responsible for such content. Basho does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information accessed on the Site or through the Service and Basho neither adopts nor endorses, nor is Basho responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice, or statement made by parties other than Basho. Basho takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content that you or any other User or third party posts or sends over the Service. Under no circumstances will Basho be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from anyone’s reliance on information or other content posted on the Site, or the Service, or transmitted to Users.
Links to Other Sites and/or Materials
As part of the Service, Basho may run advertisements and promotions or provide you with convenient links to third party website(s) (“Third Party Sites”), as well as articles, videos, webinars, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software, and other materials, content, or items belonging to or originating from third parties (the “Third Party Applications, Software, or Content”). The content and links are provided as a courtesy to Users. Basho has no control over Third Party Sites and Third Party Applications, Software or Content or the promotions, materials, information, goods or services available on these Third Party Sites or Third Party Applications, Software, or Content. Such Third Party Sites and Third Party Applications, Software, or Content are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness by Basho, and Basho is not responsible for any Third Party Sites accessed through the Site or any Third Party Applications, Software, or Content posted on, available through, or installed from the Site, including the content, accuracy, offensiveness, opinions, reliability, privacy practices, or other policies of or contained in the Third Party Sites or the Third Party Applications, Software, or Content. Inclusion of, linking to, or permitting the use or installation of any Third Party Site or any Third Party Applications, Software, or Content does not imply approval or endorsement thereof by Basho. If you decide to leave the Site and access the Third Party Sites or to use or install any Third Party Applications, Software, or Content, you do so at your own risk and you should be aware that our terms and policies no longer govern. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any site to which you navigate from the Site or relating to any applications you use or install from the site.
Copyright Complaints and Copyright Agent
(a) Termination of Repeat Infringer Accounts. Basho respects the intellectual property rights of others and requests that the Users do the same. Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512(i) of the United States Copyright Act, Basho has adopted and implemented a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of Users of the Service, or the Site who are repeat infringers. Basho may terminate access for Users who are found repeatedly to provide or post protected third party content without necessary rights and permissions.
(b) DMCA Take-Down Notices. If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe, in good faith, that any materials on the Site other than the Software infringe upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (see 17 U.S.C 512) (“DMCA”) by sending the following information in writing to Basho’s designated copyright agent at Basho Technologies, Inc., legal (at) basho (dot) com:
- The date of your notification;
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- A description of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- A description of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and information sufficient to enable us to locate such work;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Basho to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and/or email address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
(c) Counter-Notices. If you believe that your User Content that has been removed from the Site is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner’s agent, or pursuant to the law to post and use the content in your User Content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to our copyright agent using the contact information set forth above:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- A description of the content that has been removed and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and email address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by the Basho copyright agent, Basho may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing such person that it may reinstate the removed content in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider, member, or User, the removed content may (at Basho’s discretion) be reinstated on the Site in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice.
By posting any User Content via the Service, you expressly grant, and you represent and warrant that you have a right to grant, to Basho a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, edit, translate, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, and make derivative works of all such User Content and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your User Content, if applicable, in whole or in part, and in any form, media, or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, for use in connection with the Service.
You acknowledge and agree that we and our licensors retain ownership of all intellectual property rights of any kind related to the Site, the Software, and the Service, including applicable copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary rights. “Basho” and other Basho graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names are the trademarks or trade dress of Basho in the U.S. and other countries. You may not use Basho’s trademarks and trade dress, including as part of trademarks and/or as part of domain names, in connection with any product or service in any manner that is likely to cause confusion or create the impression that Basho endorses any product or service. You may not reproduce or use Basho’s trademarks or trade dress without the prior written permission of Basho. Other product and company names that are mentioned on the Site may be trademarks of their respective owners. We reserve all rights that are not expressly granted to you under this Agreement.
Email May Not Be Used to Provide Notice to Basho
Communications made through the Site will not constitute legal notice to Basho or any of its officers, employees, agents, or representatives in any situation where notice to Basho is required by contract or any law or regulation.
User Consent to Receive Communications in Electronic Form
We may also use your email address to send you other messages, including information about Basho and special offers. You may opt out of such email by changing your account settings or sending an email to optout (at) basho (dot) com or mail to the following postal address:
929 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Opting out may prevent you from receiving messages regarding Basho or special offers.
THE SERVICE AND THE SITE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, BASHO EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, REGARDING THE SERVICE AND THE SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, SECURITY, UPTIME, AND DATA ACCURACY AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, BASHO MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION THAT ACCESS TO OR OPERATION OF THE SITE OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK OF LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR DOWNLOADING AND/OR USE OF FILES, INFORMATION, CONTENT, OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED FROM THE SERVICE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Limitation of Damages; Release
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL BASHO, ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OR EMPLOYEES, OR ITS LICENSORS OR PARTNERS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, OR DATA, FOR EQUIPMENT DOWNTIME, OR FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, HOWEVER ARISING, THAT RESULT FROM (A) THE USE, DISCLOSURE, OR DISPLAY OF YOUR USER CONTENT; (B) YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE OR THE SITE; (C) THE SERVICE GENERALLY OR THE SOFTWARE OR SYSTEMS THAT MAKE THE SERVICE AVAILABLE; OR (D) ANY OTHER INTERACTIONS WITH BASHO OR ANY OTHER USER OF THE SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT BASHO HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, AND EVEN IF A REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF LIABILITY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
If you have a dispute with one or more Users, or any other third party resulting from or arising out of or in connection with your use of the Service or the Site, you release us (and our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures, and employees) from claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code §1542, which says:
A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.
Basho may modify the Service, and all content, software, and other items used or contained in the Service, at any time. You may terminate your Basho account at any time by providing Basho with notice of termination in accordance with the instructions available through the Service. Your access to, use of, or participation in the Service, including any content therein, may be prevented by Basho at any time after your termination of your account.
You agree that any cause of action related to or arising out of your relationship with Basho must commence within ONE year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.