June 17, 2013
RICON East, Basho’s distributed systems conference, took place last month in New York. Hundreds of developers and academics gathered for two days to learn how distributed systems are being used in production and where they’ll be in the future.
Over the next few weeks, we will be posting the videos of the talks on the RICON East Archive. These videos are open to anyone and feature speakers from various distributed systems backgrounds. Slides for all of the talks are also available in the Archive.
The first six videos are already available on the site. These videos are:
- “Automatically Scalable Computation” by Dr. Margo Seltzer, Herchel Smith Professor of CS at Harvard SEAS
- “Why is my Cache so Dumb? Smarter Caching with Pequod” by Neha Narula, PhD Candidate at MIT
- “Bloom: Big Systems from Small Programs” by Neil Conway, PhD Candidate at UC Berkeley
- “Large Scale Data Service as a Service” by Brian Akins, Senior Principal Architect at Turner Broadcasting System
- “Optimizing LevelDB for Performance and Scale” by Matthew Von-Maszewski, Software Engineer at Basho Technologies
- “Just Open a Socket – Connecting Applications to Distributed Systems” by Sean Cribbs, Software Engineer at Basho Technologies
Basho is also hosting another distributed systems conference, RICON West, in San Francisco on October 29-30th. We already have some great speakers lined up, including Jeff Dean (Google Fellow), Kate Matsudaira (Founder and CTO of Pop Forms), Peter Bailis (PhD Candidate at UC Berkeley), Justin Sheehy (CTO at Basho Technologies), Jeff Hodges (Distributed Systems Engineer at Twitter), and Diego Ongaro (PhD Candidate at Stanford University). Early bird tickets are on sale now.
Be on the lookout for more videos coming soon and we’ll see you at RICON West!
May 23, 2013
Thank you to all who attended or tuned into the live-stream for RICON East this past week. We hope you had fun and learned a thing or two; we sure did.
We’ll be publishing the videos from RICON East over the coming weeks. Keep an eye on ricon.io/archive/2013/east.html for updates.
While RICON East may have just ended, we’re already busy working on RICON West.
RICON West will take place October 29-30 in San Francisco at the St. Regis Hotel. This will be our largest conference to date and we hope you’ll join us once again.
Tickets are on sale now, with early bird discounts through August. Each attendee will also get a personalized conference track jacket and a ticket to the after party at Twenty Five Lusk.
We even have a few speakers lined up already! Jeff Dean, Google Fellow at Google; Kate Matsudaira, Founder and CTO of Pop Forms; and Peter Bailis, PhD student at UC Berkeley will be speaking about their work with distributed systems, alongside Basho engineers.
If you’d like to present at RICON West, email email@example.com to submit a talk. We are accepting proposals through July 1st about anything distributed systems-related.
For more details, head on over to ricon.io/west.html
See you all in San Francisco in October.