December 26, 2013
This year, we added a wide variety of resources to help you better understand Riak and Riak CS for different use cases. These resources include whitepapers, webinars and videos, sample apps, and outside articles and reports. Here’s a look at some of what was added in 2013.
With multiple releases over the past year, all of the primary product whitepapers have been updated. Check out new versions of:
We also added a number of vertical-specific whitepapers to help companies in various industries better evaluate Riak and Riak CS.
Intro to Riak Webinar
In addition to hosting multiple introduction webinars throughout the year, we also created a standalone “Intro to Riak” webinar that can be watched and shared easily. To watch this webinar, simply fill out the webinar request form.
To showcase the power of indexing in Riak, we created a Zombie Sample App that’s run on Riak. This app has one million “Zombielepsy” victims loaded into Riak and lets the user locate them using zip code as the index value. It supports both Term-Based Inverted Indexes and Secondary Indexes. In addition to better understanding indexing in Riak, users can:
- Create a Zombie Sighting Report System so the concentration of live zombies in an area can quickly be determined based on the count and last report date.
- Add a crowd-sourced Inanimate Zombie Reporting System so that members of the non-zombie population can report inanimate zombies.
- Add a correlation feature, utilizing Graph CRDTs, so we can find our way back to Patient Zero.
More details about this app can be found here.
Articles and Reports
Outside of what has been created by Basho, we think that outside sources can also be a valuable tool when evaluating Riak or Riak CS. Our updated News Page helps to showcase much of this, but we thought we’d call out a few helpful articles from the past year.
Information Week – “Big Data Reshapes Weather Channel Predictions”
IDC – “IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Object-Based Storage 2013 Vendor Assessment”
The Register – “What Do We Want? Strong Consistency! When Do We…Oh It’s In Riak v2”
Programmable Web – “Seagate Releases Open Source API to Eliminate Data Storage Complexity”
The Register – “Distributed Systems Boffins Flock to RICON West”
Computer Weekly – “Computer Weekly European User Awards for Storage: Winners”
Gartner – “IT Market Clock for Database Management Systems, 2013”
Information Week – “Basho Embraces OpenStack with Riak Cloud Storage”
Flyclops Blog – “Taking the Riak Plunge”
Forrester Research – “To Get National Healthcare Right Requires Adaptive Intelligence”
451 Research – “451 Research Survey Highlights Growing Adoption of NoSQL Databases”
GigaOm – “Storage Player Basho Open Sources Riak CS”
November 20, 2013
To showcase who is talking about Basho and Riak across the world, we recently overhauled the Basho News Page. This News Page showcases some of the top stories about Basho and the distributed systems industry. It also highlights recent announcements from us, ranging from releases to partnerships to speaking engagements.
Currently on the News Page, check out stories from:
- ComputerWeekly – Angry Birds Roost Grows with Open NoSQL Riak
- 451 Research – Basho Previews Distributed Database Update Following Major Deal with UK’s NHS
- The Register – What Do We Want? Strong Consistency! When Do We… Oh, It’s In Riak v2
- ProgrammableWeb – Seagate Releases Open Source API to Eliminate Data Storage Complexities
- Computing – NHS ‘to Benefit from Agile Development’ with Selection of Open Source Database Riak for Spine2
If you’re looking for a specific article or want to browse past stories, you can also check out the complete archive here.