Key-Value Database Explained
WHAT IS A KEY-VALUE DATABASE?
A key-value database, also called a key-value store, is the most flexible type of NoSQL database. Key-value databases have emerged as an alternative to many of the limitations of traditional relational databases, where data is structured in tables and the schema must be predefined. In a key-value store, there is no schema and the value of the data is opaque. Values are identified and accessed via a key, and stored values can be numbers, strings, counters, JSON, XML, HTML, binaries, images, short videos, and more. It is the most flexible NoSQL model because the application has complete control over what is stored in the value.
KEY-VALUE DATABASE BENEFITS
Many implementations that are not well-suited to traditional relational databases can benefit from a key-value model, which offers several advantages, including:
- Flexible data modeling: Because a key-value store does not enforce any structure on the data, it offers tremendous flexibility for modeling data to match the requirements of the application.
- High performance: Key-value architecture can be more performant than relational databases in many scenarios because there is no need to perform lock, join, union, or other operations when working with objects. Unlike traditional relational databases, a key-value store doesn’t need to search through columns or tables to find an object. Knowing the key will enable very fast location of an object.
- Massive scalability: Most key-value databases make it easy to scale out on demand using commodity hardware. They can grow to virtually any scale without significant redesign of the database.
- High availability: Key-value databases may make it easier and less complex to provide high availability than can be achieved with relational database. Some key-value databases use a masterless, distributed architecture that eliminates single points of failure to maximize resiliency.
- Operational simplicity: Some key-value databases are specifically designed to simplify operations by ensuring that it is as easy as possible to add and remove capacity as needed and that any hardware or network failures within the environment do not create downtime.
RIAK KV FOR FLEXIBILITY, SCALABLITY, AND OPERATIONAL SIMPLICITY
Riak KV’s key-value design delivers powerful yet simple data models for storing massive amounts of unstructured data, plus the operational simplicity that enterprises need.
Read about Riak KV
RIAK KV: A KEY-VALUE DESIGN WITH INNOVATIVE FUNCTIONALITY
Riak KV is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database that is optimized to reduces code complexity and enhance operational simplicity.
Riak KV Feature Tour